In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw a Woodlouse Spider in 5 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represent how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Woodlouse Spider.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw a Woodlouse Spider - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Step 1: Make the head by drawing an oval with a little curve cutting into it at the top.
Step 2: Add the abdomen by drawing an egg shape beneath it, with the fat end on top and thin end on bottom.
Step 3: The mandibles go at the top of the head. Inside the little curve from step 1, draw two ovals with lines pointing out of each of them.
Step 4: Draw two lines pointing out next to the mandibles for the palp.
Step 5: On the left side of the body, draw four little ovals. Draw two lines pointing up from the top two ovals, and two lines pointing down from the bottom two ovals. Repeat this on the right side for all eight legs. You are done! Now you can color it. These spiders have a dark red head and legs, and a shiny yellow-brown abdomen. Woodlouse spiders are named after their favorite prey, and they like to live in warm places under logs. Instead of using a web, woodlouse spiders hunt for food at night.
Interesting Facts about the Woodlouse spider
The woodhouse spider is a type of spider that only eats woodlice and originally was found in Europe but now can be found in almost every continent in the world. This spider also has a few other common names that are all referring to their only prey: woodlouse hunter, pillbug hunter, and others. The female woodlouse spiders are normally around 11 -15mm long and males are around 9-10mm.
Did you know?
- These spiders are often found in gardens, under rocks or enjoying some shade from trees or logs but if there is a lot of humidity outside, sometimes the spiders will go insides people’s houses
- They enjoy the nighttime and will often do most of their hunting at night.
- These spiders are not known to be aggressive at all and will rarely bite humans, however if they do bite their bites aren’t life threatening at all
- These spiders are often mistaken for the much more dangerous brown recluse spiders because they are shaped similarly but the woodlouse spider has a reddish brown color head with a cream colored abdomen
- Unlike most spiders these spiders have only 6 eyes which are arranged in the shape of an oval