In this quick tutorial you'll learn how to draw Squirtle in 7 easy steps - great for kids and novice artists.
The images above represent how your finished drawing is going to look and the steps involved.
Below are the individual steps - you can click on each one for a High Resolution printable PDF version.
At the bottom you can read some interesting facts about the Squirtle.
Make sure you also check out any of the hundreds of drawing tutorials grouped by category.
How to Draw Squirtle - Step-by-Step Tutorial
Interesting Facts about the Squirtle
Its basic appearance resembles a small turtle down to the tough shell which hardens as it grows. The shell is brown on the upper side and yellow at the bottom. There is also a white ribbon that separates the two halves at the center. It usually walks on its two feet but can also utilize all four limbs especially when running.
Did you know?
- In the cartoon series Ash almost chose Squirtle over Pikachu as his first Pokémon since he found the Pokémon had already been chosen and he had been left with the choice of Pikachu.
- The meaning of Squirtle’s name in Japanese has a reference to money which is so because of the shape of turtle resembles Japanese coins.
- The Squirtle has been changing colors throughout the franchise especially its shell which may have a lighter or darker yellow or even a silver tone. Its skin also changes from a dark blue tone to a lighter blue tone.
- Squirtle females are rare. In fact the ratio of male to female Squirtle is 7:1.
- The evolution of Squirtle in the games does not help in starting battles.
Additionally, Squirtle is a popular character especially due to its crossovers with the Super Mario Bros franchise. The Squirtle squad has also made appearances on both games.